Just got my Raspberry Pi last week and yeah, I’m super obsessed. I’ve mostly been copying Niltoid (AKA Ahmad)’s setup(s) but I’m also collecting a few other helpful links along the way. So to keep track ( and I’ll keep adding more ), here are some links:
If headless and on the road
For Unix and Bash Shell brush up:
To install Node.js (haven’t done this yet but…):
& I found this one too
Eventually, I’d like to do a version of this with the Pi.
I designed and drew these cartoons for Jobpods earlier this year and went by the site today and saw that they were live so I thought I’d throw up screen shots.
My first ever New Yorker Caption Contest submission:
Hope I win!
I bought autodesk’s SketchBookPro a few months ago and I am in love. I just finished my first ever paid cartoon gig using it as my primary drawing tool. There are definitely some workflow issues I’ll need to iron out and I have filled up my cloud with a bunch of crap that I’ll need to organize somehow but still, it is just too fun to use.
Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to revisit this project and add some enemies and levels! Here’s the git, it’s probably messy.
My good friends Hollerado have an awesome new album coming out in the next week or so and to mimic the physical album, I created this little sketch for them. A lot of the how-to came from this post at beej.us but I stripped out all references to Jquery (ugg), made it a bit more OOP to my liking and added a few new scratchers. It was a really fun exercise and hopefully I can build more on it later, if the need arises. Here’s the messy git.
“Bean-segrity” – tensegrity beanstalk ( trellis )
Holy crap, beans grow fast! So I’ve only had time to build two “tendule” stages but the beans keep growing. It was cool to see how the beans stretch out and grab onto the the dowel.
Directions via Make Mag http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/wp_nerdornaments.pdf.
Update: (5.2.12) Made two more tendules. A little wobbly because I ran out of stretchy string for the side support loops. Will fix soon.
Breadboarding done. Interior Shell Structure Start.
I am now putting her all together, slowly. There is still some light architecting and constructing to do as I am figuring out the interior design as I go. I cut the power jack off my RBBB board as planned and it fits nicely although the double pointed pentagon structure I built (connected at the points [ like this: >< ], with a toothpick through the middle of the two) to hold up the board is a little higher than I wanted because I didn't take into account the soldering sticking out of the bottom of the board. I've also started building the mount for the 7-segment display which, I’m sure, will present it’s own challenges. But the code is pretty much there! I ripped a bunch off from Ahmad’s ThermoLamp code which saved loads of time. I added a dimmer mode (which I probably should have used while photographing the breadboard) and I probably still have to clean up the code a bit but for now I’ll be concentrating on building the interior, the shade covering, and the power circuit (I have to build my own holders for 2x3v disc batteries – and it would be cool to do some transistor / photocell kind of thing but I’ll probably just have a switch).
This is still in the works. It’s an idea for a night light with a thermistor that changes a tri-color LED based on the temperature ( inspired by baby sleeping temp recommendations ). Funnily enough, my friend Ahmad (see his new blog) had the same idea way before I did. He gave me his code and convinced me to add a 7-segment display which I am working on now. But here’s the geodesic shell that I made from toothpicks and glue. I’ll keep updating as I go.
I got my Math for geodesic domes from, once again, hilaroad and also JMEMantzel. I recently bought Geodesic Math and How to Use It by Hugh Kenner but my dome was already in the works by the time I received it in the mail so I’ll have to use it for future projects.
I built a solar tracker like this one modified to use my Arduino. If you haven’t seen any videos by ScienceOnline before, you’re in for a real treat! Check out their website too http://hilaroad.com/ for some more great ideas and scientific knowledge.
This was my first real Arduino project and I think it went rather well. I learned a lot but now I really need to get out in the sun to do some real testing. I’d still like to use this to power some other projects and / or add some other features… so many empty pins on that RBBB board.
a few pics
parts & materials
get the most recent code on github